***This post contains affiliate links***
We all know single-use plastic creates issues in our environment, is harmful for wildlife, and fills our landfills quickly. Whether it be bags or bottles, single-use plastic takes anywhere from 20 to 1,000 years to break down. The amount of plastic we use each minute is astronomical and is truly sickening to think about.
Think for a moment how hard it is to avoid plastic…it is everywhere!
Knowing where to start in the reduction of plastic in your lifestyle can feel overwhelming. It might make you feel like you cannot make a difference in this huge problem, but that is not true! Each of us can make a difference!
Imagine what you could do by eliminating as much plastic from your home as you are able. Whether you are a family of one, or six, you are making a huge difference. One less piece of plastic will make our world a better place. You can make a difference in just one day…but imagine the difference you will make in your lifetime.
Here are 5 ways to reduce plastic in your home:
- Stop using plastic straws, even in restaurants. Purchase reusable stainless-steel straws. We use these in my home daily, and they will last forever!
2. Use reusable bottles for water, coffee, or any beverage of your choice. Carry it everywhere you go. Yes, even from a to-go shop. Who knows…the more public you go with your concern might spark awareness in others and show them ideas of how they can help as well.
3. Each family member, pack your lunches in reusable containers and bags. Also, when purchasing foods choose bulk items instead of products that come in single serving cups or wraps.
4. Bring reusable shopping bags when you are shopping for groceries, clothing, shoes, anything you are shopping for could be packed in a reusable shopping bag.
5. Use razors with replaceable heads, in the place of disposable razors.
You CAN help reduce the use of single-use plastic. Let’s start with these 5 tips, get used to this life change, and grow our list together! We can make the world a better place. It starts with me…and you! LET’S DO THIS!